When looking for a qualified acupuncturist in the New York metro area for serious concerns, chronic conditions, or long-term benefits, start your search for practitioners who are licensed acupuncturists (L.Ac.). They will have the highest level of training in the field You will find a list of licensed acupuncturists at www.NCCAOM.org.
Don't be fooled. Dry Needling is Acupuncture. They use Acupuncture needles and pierce the skin.
These are two excellent articles discussing Dry Needling in more detail.
- Licensed acupuncturists (L.Ac.) with an average of 2,700+ hours of mater's - level training
- Master's level, on-site training at a nationally accredited school or college of acupuncture
- Hundreds of hours of clinical experience and at least 250 actual patient treatments before licensure
- Required to pass the national certification exam in acupuncture in order to become licensed (NCCAOM)
- Required to do regular continuing education to maintain national certification
- Certified physician or chiropractors with as little as
50 hours of training
- Training which is often comprised of home study and video-taped lectures
- Minimal clinical experience in acupuncture or no actual patient treatments before certification
- Not required to complete the national certification examination to prove competency in acupuncture
- Not required to regularly complete continuing education courses